So I finished writing a novel about a month ago and I've been editing it on and off since. I'm so close to having a semi-solid first draft, but I can't find the motivation to finish editing the last few chapters. The ending is so poorly written and rushed. I can't seem to focus. I get distracted by my other work in process (which is currently at 32K yikes) and other ideas I have for future projects. I seriously think I need summer so I can focus, relax, and get things done. I'd like to start querying this book by July, but at the rate I'm going, I don't see it happening, unless I want to query a poorly edited book. I still also need to get people to read the draft. I feel like people will either hate it or love it. It's not my typical style. It doesn't have enormous amounts of violence and my main character is a guy. But when I tell people the plot, they seemed very interested and can follow it without asking a billion questions like I've had happen with previous books. It's straight forward. But is it me? Maybe that's why I can't seem to edit it. It's not personal enough. Eh.
The voice is wonderful. I think you just need to stop questioning yourself and edit. Let what wants to come out, come out. You did write the novel. It came from you. Maybe that's really a good thing, that it's different from past novels.
ReplyDelete